Banco de España
The guarantor of the orthodoxy of the Spanish economy since 1891
Located on the corner of Paseo del Prado and Calle Alcalá, in Plaza de Cibeles itself, this mansion is one of the most representative of the character of Madrid, both for its high-profile location and for its volume and artistic interest. It is an imposing building, successively enlarged since its original construction in 1891 by the architects Eduardo Adaro and Severiano Sáinz de la Lastra. Worthy of note is its courtly concept, on using a neo-mannerist style, reminiscent of the Venetian library of San Marcos, in which the correct choice of building materials is combined with the creation of large operations rooms, richly decorated by a variety of artists: in 1884 the project garnered the Gold Medal of the National Exhibition of Fine Arts.
From the original site, located on the aforementioned corner of Paseo del Prado and Calle Alcalá, the headquarters of the Bank of Spain has grown gradually, always maintaining a grandiose building style in accordance with the representative function of the institution, until it occupied the whole block. The finishing touches were added by the project of the architect Rafael Moneo, at the intersection of the streets of Alcalá and Marqués de Cubas, which has scrupulously respected this building style with the inclusion of pertinent allusions to Cubism in the décor.