Museo Nacional Thyssen-Bornemisza
Palacio de Villahermosa
An exceptional art collection, displayed in a luxurious case
The former Vistahermosa palace houses one of the best private art collections, loaned to the Spanish State by its owner, Baron Thyssen-Bornemisza. For its installation, the Ministry of Culture purchased the old palace from the López Quesada Bank, its owner, which had undertaken major works in its interior in order to use it as its headquarters. Originally, the site where the palace stands had been acquired in 1771 by the Duke of Villahermosa for his private residence; the work was undertaken from 1805 by the architect Antonio López Aguado.
The installation of Baron Thyssen-Bornemisza’s collections began in 1992, upon termination of the architectural works carried out according to the project by the architect Rafael Moneo. The project lays out the rooms perpendicularly to the streets from the main access through the garden to a lobby leading to the various spaces.
The museum includes an extension to house Baroness Thyssen-Bornemisza’s private collection, creating a new contemporary façade facing the garden.
© Lucia Moreno Diz